Careers Education (CEIAG)
Pathways Co-ordinator and Careers Lead: Dan Walker
Preparation for Adulthood Co-ordinator: Jess O’Connell
Identified Trustee for CEIAG: Tara Gratton
Tel: 0114 258 9062 (please ask to leave a message with either Dan or Jess)
Ruskin Mill Trust recognises that our students are on a pathway to self-leadership. As a holistic organisation we acknowledge and appreciate multiple intelligences such as emotional and aesthetic intelligence, and situational awareness. To assist in the student journey towards ‘self-generated conscious action’ our staff consciously role model positive relationships with other human beings as well as their environment. This role modelling, and our educational approach as a whole, contributes to our vision that each individual has the potential to shape their own future through experiencing meaningful relationships with universe, earth and people. This is the lens through which the following should be viewed.
At Brantwood Specialist School, we believe that high quality, objective Careers Education and Guidance can help young people to develop a sense of purpose, raise their aspirations and assist them to progress throughout their education and into meaningful adult lives. Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance is an integral part of school life.
The Statutory Guidance
Careers guidance and access for education and training providers (October, 2018) is a long-term plan to build “a world class careers system that will help young people and adults choose the career that is right for them”.
Its aims are as follows:
All young people access a programme of advice and guidance that is stable, structured and delivered by individuals with the right skills and experience.
All schools and colleges continue to achieve the 8 Gatsby benchmarks:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each student
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
Brantwood Specialist School is committed to providing a planned programme of careers education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) for all students aged 12 – 19, in partnership with C & K Careers.
At Brantwood Specialist School we endeavour to provide students with a variety of opportunities in a range of activities. These involve learning possibilities and specialist visits in order to give students opportunities that they may not have experienced without our intervention.
Through Careers Education and Guidance our students will:
- Develop a positive self-image in relation to future learning and work roles, based on an accurate assessment and recording of their abilities and aptitudes.
- Build aspiration for their future based on a sound understanding of the range of opportunities available through learning and work, and of career progression.
- Develop skills to form and implement effective decisions and a reflective approach to learning from experience.
Our careers programme includes employer engagement experiences, work experience, information and research activities (through our broader Preparation for Adulthood, pastoral curriculum), work related learning and individual planning activities. Other focused events may include college taster days, careers fairs, mock-interview days, assemblies and presentations.